Summer 2019 English Courses
“Excellent teaching, fantastic activities”
How would you create the perfect course in English usage?
1. Go to England.
2. Select top-quality English speakers who are also experienced teachers.
3. Keep class sizes small.
4. Build vocabulary; nouns come first, verbs and good grammar follow.
5. Reveal the origin of words and of the English language.
6. Engage the students with practical activities every day.
7. Use English lessons as preparation for those activities.
8. Maintain English usage all day and especially when outdoors.
You now have the Oyster Education philosophy! We put experienced teachers who are graduates of Oxford University in front of a small group…and we firmly believe that learning takes place as much outside the classroom as it does inside. We then take English teaching to the highest level with these principles:
Insist on good grammar at all times.
Introduce new words and show their roots. Give every student a vocabulary book and fill it.
Engage the mind and the body and use the language.
What can you expect?
– excellent tuition in English
– maximum class sizes of 6
– at least 3 hours’ of formal lessons per day; English conversation all day
– fun science practicals
– activities every day for the full two weeks
– personal collection/drop-off at Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow airports included on start and finish dates
– beautiful coastal location
– hosting with English families so English is spoken mornings and evenings as well
– opportunity to become an ‘Oyster Student’ and so be tutored through to university entrance
– personal report written at the end highlighting the student’s strengths, weaknesses and areas to develop
Here are just some of the activities students have experienced on our courses:
- Shore fishing
- Excursion to London
- Laser Games
- Visits to castles
- Raft-building and racing
- Survival lessons
- Chemistry and Physics practicals
- Navigation on land
- Off-track cycling
- Shrimping and crabbing
- visits to towns and fruit picking
- Physics challenge
- Seal watching
- Team-building challenges
Most of our students form small groups and choose their own dates. We then publish these dates when booked and invite others to join in.
Most of our summer courses are of 2 weeks’ duration. We do ask students to arrive on the start date and leave on the departure date. All transfers outside those days will incur an extra charge.
The fee for 2019 has been maintained at £1900 and this is ALL-INCLUSIVE…transfers on advertised dates, food, accommodation, visits, activities…everything is covered. There are no extras!