Work With Us
Oyster Education seeks enquiries from bona fide tutors. It is our opinion that many people are calling themselves ‘tutors’ when they are nothing more than people who have themselves been students. We expect our tutors to have taught in an Ofsted-inspected school for a minimum of 5 years or in an accredited EFL college for a similar time. We operate in Southeast England and have numerous placements and opportunities available throughout the year.
Becoming an Oyster Home Tutor
Oyster welcomes applicants who can tutor and accommodate students in their own homes within a reasonable 2 hour drive from Gatwick Airport.
These placements are already popular with current teachers looking to fill the long July break, retired teachers and EFL tutors. Some tutors accommodate the student with neighbours or relatives.
Our youngest students are aged 11. Older students and adult learners also seek home tuition; all currently come from the EU. We expect our students to have their own bedrooms though sharing with a friend or sibling is acceptable. Many of our students seek tuition in English as a foreign language. However, we also have opportunities for subject specialists; for example, we have had students come for a week of Mathematics. We offer all subjects but the heaviest demand is for English, then the sciences. Many of our foreign students aspire to be doctors and all intend to take a degree. Tuition is usually for one student; two are allowed but only if they book together.
Tutors who can offer something special outside the classroom are highly marketable, but we do expect more than just a passing interest if we are to offer as such. This can be where a spouse steps in, for example, we have placed students with couples offering painting and drawing, pottery, carpentry, fly fishing, photography and computer programming. We love it when our tutors can explore their passion and expertise with students and would advertise accordingly.
Safeguarding is of paramount importance when setting up home tuition and all applicants can expect initial scrutiny followed by parental feedback. We expect our homestay tutors to offer the highest levels of tuition and attention. If you wish to apply then we would love to hear from you, but make sure you are comfortable with the following:
Oyster Home Tutor Requirements:
- Hold a current DBS certificate or are prepared to be DBS checked (this is usually done when a placement is found)
- Degree from a recognised university or higher EFL qualification, at least CELTA or TESOL etc
- Five years’ teaching experience in a recognised school or college including accredited EFL colleges
- Able to provide two references of suitability, one being from your last or current educational employer
- Able to understand and apply the principles discussed in the booklet ‘Guidelines for Oyster Tutors and Hosts’ available on the website
- Able to offer a home of well-above average standard with separate bedroom for students
- Live in a desirable area a reasonable 2 hour drive from Gatwick Airport
- Willing to provide details of other people living in your home (names not required)
- Willing to be interviewed in your home and provide a short guided tour
- Able to collect and drop off your students from Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted if required (with remuneration)
- Hold a clean UK driving licence and drive a roadworthy car
- Be willing to provide high levels of attention and care to a student as befits not just a person in loco parentis, but a teacher of high professional standing
Much of the skill with setting up homestays is in the matching of the student to the right tutor and family. The rewards can be far-reaching and have included repeat bookings, family exchanges and long-term friendships and contacts.
Please complete the Tutor Application Form if you wish to become an Oyster Homestay tutor in the UK. We never publish names, addresses or photographs to do with home tuition and only send details to possible clients.
We have many requests for specialist tuition, both in the UK and overseas. If you meet our requirements and wish to register with us, you really have nothing to lose. Oyster is NOT a computerised tutoring agency and never will be. We match the needs of a student to the capabilities of a teacher and we are in for the long haul; some of our students joined us aged 14 and we are now preparing them for university.
Opportunities include: winter and spring tuition in the UK on an hourly basis, teaching on our Easter revision courses, overseas tutoring and teaching on our various summer school courses.
For more information please contact Oyster.